Legends Studios is proud to announce the addition of beauty and skin care therapies to our current range of treatments.
We listen to you, our client, and our goal is to provide unparalleled customer service, while at the same time guaranteeing you an experience you will be talking about for months.
As the leading aesthetic studio for cavitation (non surgical body sculpting and fat loss) in South Africa, we understand that with our modern lifestyle and busy schedules, it is important to offer a wider range of treatments under one roof, and so our Edenvale Branch (Head Office) has teamed up with Monica van Oudshoorn, a highly qualified and experienced Body and Skin Care Therapist, to offer you a full range of beauty treatments and therapies.
When consulting a practitioner with a skin concern, it is important that you feel comfortable and at ease. This is something that you can be sure of when you meet Monica. Monica has a true passion for skincare, and it shows in her work. Her extreme attention to detail and dynamic personality have given her a leading edge in the beauty and skin care industry.
Our wide range of beauty and skin care treatments include treatments for hands and feet, manicures, pedicures, gel overlays; facial treatments using high end, quality products; the full range of waxing services as well as massage treatments.
Legends Studios Head Office would like to welcome Monica to our highly trained team, and look forward to providing an even wider range of services to our clients.
“Radio Frequency Facial” is a hi-tech-sounding buzzword that gets thrown around a lot lately. It’s been around for a while and was in fact recommended to Victoria Beckham by Dr Harold Lancer a few years ago. I think we can all agree that her skin is absolutely glowing!
Radio Frequency (RF) is the perfect treatment to transform your complexion from dull and dreary to refreshed and rejuvenated
RF treatment is a non-abrasive, ultra safe treatment that reverses the signs of aging to leave the face and neck area with a youthful glow.
Wrinkles appear as we age due to the depletion of collagen (a naturally occurring protein) levels. The RF Facial works by stimulating and rejuvenating collagen supplies, and encouraging the production of new collagen by improving the lymphatic flow of your skin.
A Radio Frequency Facial results in a tightening of the skin on the cheeks, jowl lines, and neck area. This reduces wrinkles, leading to smoother, younger-looking skin.
Contact us today to ensure you look and feel amazing this holiday season!
According to the World Health Organisation, worldwide obesity has more than doubled since 1980.
- In 2014, more than 1.9 billion adults, 18 years and older, were overweight. Of these over 600 million were obese.
- 39% of adults aged 18 years and over were overweight in 2014, and 13% were obese.
- Most of the world’s population live in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight.
- 42 million children under the age of 5 were overweight or obese in 2013.
- Obesity is preventable.
Acne is the most common skin disease of adolescence, affecting over 80% of teenagers (aged 13–18 years) at some point. With the high levels of air pollution and our modern way of life, we at Legends are finding that more and more young people are turning to IPL treatment for treating acne and the resulting scarring.
IPL is a drug free treatment and is wonderful for clearing an annoying spot or boil.
We’ve had the pleasure of treating many young students before their matric dances, when looking good was essential.
We’re also producing remarkable results for those suffering from permanent acne. We have a number of young clients who are receiving great benefit from regular treatments.
Our innovative and advanced IPL system filters light with the appropriate wavelength, the red pigment in the blood (haemoglobin), absorbs this light and heats up in the fine blood vessels that supply the sebaceous glands. This causes minor injury to the sebaceous glands, which decreases the overproduction of oil that leads to acne.
This solution to dealing with acne is easy and essentially painless.
It’s important to remember that acne is often caused by internal factors such as hormonal imbalance, stress and food allergies. Ideally, the treatment should be combined with methods to deal with the underlying problem in order to clear the acne permanently.
You can read more about our IPL Skin Repair treatment here: IPL Skin Repair
A 2012 study at Harvard University found that participants who ate flaxseed lost 37 percent more weight than participants who did not. [source: livestrong.com]
What is Flaxseed?
Flaxseed is a plant-based omega-3 alpha linolenic acid (EFA). This fatty acid is essential for the body to function properly. Your body is unable to make this on it’s own, and relies on you getting enough flaxseed from your diet. In today’s over processed world, this is virtually impossible. Flaxseed also contains the minerals phosphorus, copper and magnesium, which are essential for the health of your bones.
What are the health benefits of Flaxseed?
- Flaxseed contains lignans, which are fiber-like antioxidant compounds that prevent inflammation and may decrease the risk for cancer and diabetes
- Lignans are also known for their anti-viral and antibacterial properties, therefore consuming flax regularly may help reduce the number or severity of colds and flus.
- The lignans in flaxseed have been shown to relieve symptoms of menopause and can be used as an alternative to hormone replacement therapy as lignans have estrogenic properties.
- The ALA fats in flax seeds benefits the skin and hair by providing essential fats as well as b-vitamins which can help reduce dryness and flakiness.
- It also improves digestive health and is one of the highest magnesium foods in the world.
- Flaxseed oil is known to lower cholesterol.
How does Flaxseed assist with weight loss?
- When the body does not have sufficient EFA, it will stimulate feelings of hunger as it looks for nutrients. Taking flaxseed regularly will therefore suppress your appetite.
- Flaxseed has a high fiber content, resulting in that feeling of satisfied fullness after eating, thereby decreasing your food intake. Provided you stop eating once you’re full that is.
- Taking flaxseed oil regularly is believed to improve metabolism and increase thermogenesis (fat-burning).
- Flaxseed oil and especially the ground meal slows down the digestion of a meal, leading to a gentler rise in blood sugar and therefore insulin.
How to add Flaxseed to your diet
You can find flaxseed at most grocery stores. If you can’t find ground flaxseed, you can buy the whole seeds and grind them yourself in a coffee grinder.
Our Curve X Protein Meal Supplement also contains plenty of flaxseed together with other essential vitamins and minerals and the full Amino Acid spectrum. Why not give it a try?
The Real Meal Revolution by Tim Noakes has really taken South Africa by storm and is fast becoming popular in Australia and New Zealand.
So the question is: Can butter, or even bacon, be good for you? I wouldn’t go quite that far, but but recent studies have challenged what we all grew up believing about fat.
Practitioners in the United States are chiming in on the matter too.
For years, providers were taught that fats in the diet caused heart disease and strokes; however, eating more fat [may] actually help you lose weight and improves good cholesterol. The unhealthy fats are those man-made fats, especially trans fats. Natural fats,” , such as those found in butter, olive oil, bacon and meats with higher saturated fat levels, “are dealt with in our body in a healthy manner. It is still important to eat and cook with natural fats. Fat in the diet does not increase blood sugar and glucose.” Carol A. Birch, Swedish Weight Loss Services
With all this going on, you might be tempted to go all out with that bacon cheeseburger, but our advice to you is to stick to the old adage, “Everything in moderation.”
If you’re on the Banting bandwagon, why not try our Curv X Protein Meal Supplement. The benefits speak for themselves:
- High in NATURALLY occurring:
- Bio-Available Protein (digestible)
- Vitamins and Minerals.
- Omega 3 (critical for healthy metabolic function and key force against inflammation)
- Full Amino Acid spectrum (complete protein – essential for healthy muscle tone).
- Only 0.7 grams Carbs!
- Fast absorbing.
- Natural whole ground fibre (Flax seed)
- NO artificial sweetener.
- Perfect for insulin resistant people.
Most of us would benefit from reducing the amount of salt in our diet. On average, we consume 4,000 milligrams or more of sodium per day, almost twice the daily recommendation. Salt is a given in most of our packaged food, so where on earth do we begin to cut down?
Here are four ways to get started:
1. Choose fresh foods (fresh meat, poultry, and fish, whole fruits and vegetables, and unprocessed grains), when possible. Processing almost always means added sodium.
2. Compare the sodium content of different brands, and even of similar products within the same brand, since levels vary widely. Reduced-fat foods, such as low-fat cheese, often have more sodium than their full-fat versions. And don’t assume that organic packaged foods or health-food brands have less sodium.
3. Bear in mind that “healthy” options on menus are not necessarily low in sodium, so when eating out, request sauces on the side and, if possible ask that no salt be added.
4. Smaller portion sizes and cutting back on snack foods will automatically lower your sodium intake, as well as your total calories, which is a good thing for most people.
Most of the sodium we consume is in the form of salt, and the vast majority of sodium we consume is in processed and restaurant foods. While our bodies need a small amount of sodium to work properly, too much sodium is bad for your health. Excess sodium can increase your blood pressure and your risk for a heart disease and stroke.
As we grew up, we substituted whole milk for skimmed in an effort to cut down on fat, but…
did you know that there’s evidence that calcium deficiency can slow down your metabolism?
healthy calcium levels can speed up your weight loss.
A study conducted by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that dieters who had the highest intake of calcium from dairy lost 60 percent more weight than those with the lowest. Obese women who raised their daily intake of calcium from 600 mg to 1,200 lost average of 11 pounds more than those who maintained their calcium intake.
Calcium is considered an essential nutrient and cannot be produced by the body. It is therefore important that you eat calcium rich foods in order to absorb the 1200mg daily requirement.
Calcium at different stages in life
Childhood and adolescence – calcium is vital in building and developing the skeleton and teeth.
Adulthood – calcium helps to maintain bone strength. We lose calcium in our bones as we age which can lead to oseoperosis. It’s essential, especially for women, to eat at least 3 servings of calcium rich foods per day.
During Pregnancy – calcium needs are higher During pregnancy and breast-feeding to ensure the proper development of the foetus and new born child.
Calcium is not only essential for your bones and teeth, but is also critical for muscle function and the transmission of signals to the nerves. Recent studies have also suggested that calcium assists with lowering cholesterol.
Your body can’t make its own calcium, so it’s essential that you take in 1,200 mg a day through your diet. In fact, if you don’t take enough of the mineral, your body may begin to release calcitriol, a hormone that promotes fat storage. To meet your calcium needs, look for foods that have at least 200 mg listed on the label; work them into your diet every day.
Top Sources Of Calcium
Low-fat plain yogurt (8 ounces): 452 mg
40g cheddar cheese – 310mg
1 cup milk – 310mg
Spinach (1 cup cooked) – 291 mg
Black-eyed peas (1 cup cooked) – 211 mg
60g (1/2 small tin) canned sardines (bones included) – 200mg
¼ cup raw almonds – 70mg
½ cup baked beans, canned in tomato sauce – 50mg
1 cup of broccoli – 30mg
Our Bryanston Branch has taken part in an exhibition at the Fourways Mall all of this week and have had quite an impact in the community.
The exhibition has been different and new for Legends, but most definitely exciting.
“What I love most about Legends is our hands on approach and this exhibition allows us to take that approach to a whole new level. So far it’s gone very well and I can’t wait to change the waist lines and lives of new clients stepping into the Legends community.” Jess Sheffield
If you’re in the area, pop past and say hi, the exhibit ends on Monday evening, 6 July.